You can get involved in Putting Feet First by:
Joining the campaign
Join Diabetes UK’s Putting Feet First campaign and together we can dramatically reduce the number of amputations suffered by people with diabetes. Whether you’ve got a few minutes to spare or an hour to give, there will be some way you can help. Visit our Diabetes Voices pages to find out more.
Looking after your feet
Know how to look after your feet and know what care to expect from the health service.
- Attend your annual foot check. It’s as important as your retinal screening appointment.
- Know your risk of developing foot problems and make sure that you are referred if necessary.
- Make foot-care a part of your daily routine, just like managing your blood glucose and diet.
- Be aware of any loss of sensation in your feet.
- Ask someone to assess the feeling in your toes by doing the Touch the Toes test.
- Avoid using corn-removing plasters or blades.
- Keep useful numbers handy, and know who to contact at the first sign of problems with your feet.