People with diabetes – both Type 1 and Type 2 – travel all over the world and holiday in every known destination. Diabetes is certainly no barrier. If you make the right preparations you should be able to minimise any potential problems and have an enjoyable and safe trip.
People with diabetes do not need to choose 'special' holidays just because they have diabetes. There is no reason at all why you should not enjoy your normal activities – holidaying with friends, eating meals in a relaxing atmosphere and generally joining in with whatever you feel like doing. The key is planning ahead.
The era of cheap overseas travel is coming to an end.
We have recently had the failure of several travel companies and no frills airlines such as Zoom, XL Travel and now Goldtrail Travel.
So what precautions should you take?
- Travel insurance. It is essential to buy travel insurance for overseas travel, but most polices – including ours – specifically exclude the risk of the tour operator of carrier going bust.
- Make sure your travel insurance policy covers pre-existing conditions – such as diabetes. If it doesn’t, they may not pay out if you make a claim. Check with your insurer, or use a company that specialises in travel insurance for those with health problems. For further information, or to get a quote, call Diabetes UK Insurance Services on 0800 731 7431.
- Booking through travel agents. If buying your holiday or flights from a travel agent always check they are covered by the Air Travel Organisers' Licensing (ATOL) insurance bond scheme. If the worst does happen your money will be reimbursed.
- Buying direct. If you buy your flights direct from the airline use a credit card to buy the tickets. You will be able to reclaim the cost of tour tickets from your credit card company if the travel company does fail.
- No frills airlines. If you are using a no frills airline which does not accept credit cards or who make an extra charge for credit card bookings think carefully before making your decisions. You may be getting the best price but you are taking the risk.