Sophie was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes at the age of 23 months.
After months of not understanding the excessive requests for 'Juicee', the fact that her nappies never seemed to last the night and the loss of weight, we consulted our GP. She was prescribed 'rehydrate' (full of glucose) that eventually caused excessive vomiting and the slipping in and out of consciousness. We rushed Sophie to hospital where her condition was immediately identified by a very efficient hospital team. The obvious signs were all there; extreme thirst, lots of wet nappies, rapid breathing, pear drop smell to her breath, losing weight and vomiting (classic ketoacidosis).
We were lucky to receive excellent hospital treatment as Sophie was seriously ill and her condition had not been accurately diagnosed over a period of time by a number of GP’s. After nearly a week in the children’s ward (a very different place at night!) and a course on administering insulin injections we were home. All suffering from shock and disbelief we started our new medical regime only to return to that same hospital one week later for quite a different reason, the birth of our baby boy!
At our very first hospital clinic we were advised that Sophie should be encouraged to lead a healthy lifestyle with balanced eating and plenty of sport. We took her to local parks to play and taught her to swim as early as possible.
Once Sophie started full time school she excelled in all sporting activities winning running and swimming events. Sophie joined an athletics and football club at the age of 8 and the following is a summary of her achievements:
- 2007-2010 District sprint champion
- 2008/2009 Walton Athletics champion under 11
- 2008/9/10 Gold Medal Winner Junior Girls Judo Surrey Youth Games representing Elmbridge Borough also Overall Highest Scoring Female Competitor 2010
- 2009 Winner of Surrey County under 10 women’s premier league
- 2009 Winner of Surrey under 10’s Football County Cup
- 2009 Represented JDRF European Football Cup in Switzerland
- 2010 Surrey under 13 discus champion
- 2010 Surrey under 13 shot champion
- 2010 Winning team JDRF European Football Cup
- 2010 Surrey Youth Games Football Cup Winner
- 2010 Borough Sports Personality of the year
- Surrey County standard in all sprinting events
In 2011 Sophie has achieved:
- The highest possible rankings for under 13 girls (4 number 1 positions) in the United Kingdom for athletic events
- Number 1 in shot at 2.72 and 3.25 kg and discus 0.75 and 1 kg, maintaining these positions all season (winning in excess of 50 events across the UK)
- Under 13 Surrey Champion in discus, shot and javelin
- Under 15 Surrey Champion in discus and hammer (at the age of 12)
- Achieving 3 County Best Performances at a single County Championship (equaling the best ever recorded)
- Winner of the Inter counties discus and shot events being the highest scoring ‘A’ stream athlete
- The all-time Surrey record holder for discus and shot under 13 girls
- The 3rd furthest UK throw of all time under 13 girls' discus
- Walton AC girls champion for the 4th year running
- Award for the outstanding girls/women’s performance at Walton AC
- Winner again of the Boroughs Sports Personality of the Year 2011
- Surrey County standard in all sprinting events and long jump
Sophie has to manage her insulin (through injections) and food intake with careful consideration to balance her training schedule but we and the hospital team are extremely pleased as her HbA1C levels have been between 6.9 to 7.4 for the last two years. Sophie is a very positive individual dedicated to her sporting/academic pursuits. She has never allowed diabetes to run her life.
We consider Sophie to be an inspiration to others with the view that with robust dedication and discipline you can achieve your dreams.Stuart, Sabrina, Sam and Sophie Mace