Diploma in Diabetes Course Co-ordinator
Centre for Endocrine & Diabetes Sciences
Room 254A - C2 Link
University Hospital of Wales
+44 (0)29 20745877
The Postgraduate Diploma in Diabetes was established to equip doctors with an interest in diabetes with a sound knowledge of the subject. It is a part-time distance learning course based on the International Diabetes Foundation Curriculum. It is split into six modules over two years.
- Module 1: Principles of diabetes
- Module 2: Diabetes care in practice - lifestyle management
- Module 3: Diabetes care in practice - therapeutics
- Module 4: Diabetes in special circumstances
- Module 5: Diabetic complications - pathophysiology
- Module 6: Diabetic complications - management
Introductory lectures will be held in January 2010 in Cardiff and the Middle East. Other venues currently being considered.
Part time two year course
£2,500 per year.
Type of study
Online distance learning course.
Candidates should posses an initial degree in Medicine. Only doctors will be accepted.
150 per year.
How achievement is assessed
Each module will be delivered over a period of 10 weeks with a mix of teaching material, individual work, group work and assessment. The majority of this will be delivered on-line.
- Our course/ event is open to multidisciplinary participants (even if only one discipline attends) or there is a justification for it only being open to members of certain disciplines. YES
- Our course/ event has been planned/developed with the input of independent advice from people with diabetes (eg not using one of the team who also has diabetes but seeking an outside view) YES
- Our course/ event has a structured written curriculum or programme YES
- Our course/ event has specific, documented learning outcomes which are linked, or will be linked, to the Skills For Health competencies as they develop YES
- Our course/ event is delivered by people who are (or are supported by people who are) qualified in or have proven experience in up to date principles of adult learning and teaching YES
- Our course/ event is evidence based both educationally and clinically YES
- Our course/ event is systematically evaluated to ensure that it delivers what it promises to its audience YES
- Our course/ event has a robust internal quality assurance programme YES
- Our course/ event has been accredited or educationally reviewed by an external body, either as a stand alone course or event or part of a larger, modular course YES
The diabetes diploma course is one of a number of postgraduate taught courses offered by the School of Medicine, Cardiff University.