Why become a Diabetes Voice?
To make a difference. You have the power to improve diabetes services and care. The support, training and information you receive will help you make a real impact.
What would I be doing?
As a Diabetes Voice you will use your passion and experience to make a difference. It’s up to you to decide how you want to get involved and how much time you want to give. You can:
- Take part in our national campaigns by writing letters and emails, meeting with your political representative face-to-face, or lobbying in Parliament or your national assembly with other Diabetes Voices from all over the country
- Start your own local campaign to improve diabetes services in your area
- Get involved with your local NHS – championing the views of people living with diabetes to make sure services are the best they can be
- Send us information to help us keep in touch with what’s happening in your area
- Help raise awareness of the care people living with diabetes should expect
- Talk to health care professionals about your experience
- Reply to surveys about local and national services.
Sign up to get involved as a Diabetes Voice.
What support can I expect from Diabetes UK?
The Diabetes Voices team are available by email and phone to answer any queries (firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7424 1008). The majority of the time we’ll be able to help directly, but we’ll also be able to put you in touch with the right people to help you out in your area.
- We’ll be in regular contact with news, updates and feedback
- You’ll get expert advice and training to help you campaign for change
- Prior to lobbying events and meeting with politicians we’ll provide briefings so you’ll know what to do and you’ll have key messages and the policy context
- When you attend our events we’ll provide refreshments and accommodate your dietary and access requirements. We’ll also help you out with things like travel arrangements and you will be able to claim for agreed, reasonable expenses so that you are not out of pocket.
How will Diabetes Voices hear about opportunities to get involved?
- You’ll receive regular email updates from the Diabetes Voices team, giving you all the different ways you can get involved.
- A quarterly newsletter ('Raise Your Voice') is available to download on our website, rounding up campaigning and influencing work and upcoming activities and actions
- Sometimes we might call you to let you know about opportunities for you to get involved.
What is the time commitment?
It’s up to you to decide how much time you’ve got to give and how you want to get involved. We will let you know about quick and easy actions, for example signing a petition, as well as activities that take a bit more time.
How do I become a Diabetes Voice?
You can join today by completing our quick and easy online form. Once you’ve signed up we’ll send you a welcome pack to get you started.
Because the role involves influencing your local MP or Parliamentary representatives, Diabetes Voices need to be of voting age (18 years+).