- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas 5. Slice off the bottom end of the apples, then cut around the top edge of each and scoop out the flesh, leaving about a ½cm border. Brush the cut edges with the lemon juice.
- Roughly chop the apple flesh and place in a pan with 1 tbsp water. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until soft, then push through a sieve.
- Beat the butter, nutmeg, sugar and egg yolk through the apple. Meanwhile, whisk the egg white until it forms stiff peaks. Carefully fold through the apple mixture.
- Spoon the soufflé mixture into the apples, place on a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and risen. Serve with crème fraiche and a sprinkling of extra nutmeg.
- You could use ground cinnamon or ginger in place of nutmeg.