- Place the split peas into a pan, cover with water and boil rapidly for 10 minutes then simmer for 25–30 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the onion, garlic and flour, and blend until smooth.
- Season well. Make into 16 patties.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- Brush the patties a little oil and grill for 4–5 minutes until golden, turning halfway through cooking.
- To make the hot pepper sauce, place all the ingredients into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until almost smooth. Serve with the fritters.
- As an alternative to the hot pepper sauce, make a herb dip by blending 2 tbsp each chopped fresh coriander, mint and parsley along with a crushed clove garlic and 4-5 tbsp low-fat yogurt.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze the fritters and sauce separately. Defrost in the microwave. Take care when reheating the fritters as they may crumble.