- Grate the potatoes, cover and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and herbs and spices. Mix into the grated potatoes.
- Add 1 tsp of the oil to a non-stick frying pan over medium to low heat and spoon the potato mixture into the pan, shaping into small pancakes. Cook in batches, for 2–3 minutes on each side, and set aside until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining oil to a separate pan and add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Heat gently for 10–15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Once you've cooked your final batch of pancakes, add the reserved pancakes back to the pan for 1–2 minutes to ensure they're warm. Serve with the mushroom sauce.
- You could use 2 tsp curry powder and add 50g peas to make Indian-style pancakes and serve with a raita and/or mango chutney.
- To make a creamier sauce add 2 tbsp low-fat yogurt to the mushrooms.
- Try using leeks instead of onions, or use 1 onion and 1 leek.