- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Add half the oil to a large, shallow ovenproof dish and pack in the tomatoes, peppers and onions into a single close layer.
- Sprinkle with ginger and tuck garlic cloves and sprigs of thyme among them.
- Drizzle over the remaining oil and season with pepper.
- Turn so that everything is evenly coated then slide into the oven, uncovered.
- Roast for about 40–45 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and patched with brown. Serve hot or warm.
- Once cooked, you can easily squeeze the garlic out of its skin by pressing between your thumb and forefinger.
- Turn this into a pasta sauce by roughly chopping the finished dish and stirring through cooked pasta.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in a bag. Defrost in a microwave and use as a sauce for pasta.