- Sift together the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl, then stir through the yeast. Rub in the spread, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, lemon and orange rind and the dried fruit. Mix together the lemon and orange juice with 100ml hot water, stir through the egg then work into the flour mixture. Form into a dough.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-6 minutes until smooth. Form into a neat round and put into a bowl. Cover with a tea towel and stand in a warm place for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
- ‘Knock back’ the dough by kneading again for 1 minute then shape into a loaf, cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/gas 5. Remove the film, mark 4 deep slashes into the bread and brush with the milk.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden and hollow when tapped. Brush with the honey and leave to cool.
- You could use mixed spice in place of the cinnamon.
- Try with mixed vine fruits instead of raisins and sultanas.
- Freezing instructions: Slice then wrap in foil to freeze. You can then defrost slices as required.