- Heat the oil in a pan, add the steaks and brown for 1–2 minutes each side (cook rarer than you wish to serve as they'll be cooked again later). Place on a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the same pan and cook for 4–5 minutes. Add the flour and mix well, stir in the wine (if using) and mustard. Gradually add the stock and stir 1–2 minutes to thicken.
- Return the steaks to the pan along with any juices and coat well with the sauce. Cook for 1 minute, or if you prefer well done then cook an extra 3-4 minutes. Serve with salad.
- This works very well with venison steaks for a lower fat version, or with a chicken breast (use vegetable or chicken stock).
- Look out for packs of mixed mushrooms, which are ideal for this dish.