- Grate the sweet potato. Add to a bowl with the onion, egg and pepper, and mix well.
- Add the flour, mix thoroughly and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped apples and water to a pan with a lid, and cook over a medium to low heat, stirring occasionally and mashing with the back of a spoon. Cook for 12–15 minutes until the apples are soft, then set aside.
- Add a teaspoon of the oil to a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and wipe it around with kitchen paper. When the pan is hot, add a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture and flatten it out to a pancake shape (approximately 6cm across and ½–¾ cm thick). Cook for around 3 minutes, then carefully flip with a spatula and cook the other side for a further 2–3 minutes.
- Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to cook 3–6 pancakes together. After you have cooked half the pancakes re-oil the pan with another teaspoon oil.
- Serve with the apple sauce on the side.