- Grate the sweet potato. Add to a bowl with the onion, egg and pepper, and mix well.
- Add the flour, mix thoroughly and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped apples and water to a pan with a lid, and cook over a medium to low heat, stirring occasionally and mashing with the back of a spoon. Cook for 12–15 minutes until the apples are soft, then set aside.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add a teaspoon of the oil and spread to coat the base of the pan. When the pan is hot, add a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture and flatten it out into a pancake shape. Cook for 3 minutes, then carefully flip with a spatula and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with the apple sauce.
- For a lower-sugar accompaniment, these latkes would also taste great served with 0% fat Greek yogurt.