- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ gas 6. Mix together the mince, onion, apricots, parsley and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Add enough egg to bind, and roll the mixture into 6–8 balls. (Let the kids help make the meatballs.) Place on a baking sheet and cook for 10–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the basmati rice according to its pack instructions, adding the sweetcorn, peas and pepper 5 minutes before the end of its cooking time.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan and add the onion and pepper. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and wine vinegar, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pan and add the cooked meatballs.
- Heat through for 1 minute. Serve the meatballs and sauce on the rice.
- Turkey mince is ideal for a lower-fat version.
- Meatballs freeze well, so it’s a good idea to make a batch to freeze. You could also make extra sauce and freeze individual portions of meatballs and sauce in plastic cups.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze the sauce and meatballs separately. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and thoroughly reheat until piping-hot throughout.