Last year Diabetes UK launched its Clinical Champions and Networks Project. Diabetes UK vision for local Clinical Champions is that they are supported by Diabetes UK to become catalysts for change, enhancing diabetes care across local health systems.
In an exciting new development the project has now expanded to all four nations with 20 new Clinical Champions being selected to drive improvements in care for people living with diabetes.
Diabetes UK Clinical Champions 2015
Each champion was selected on the basis that they demonstrated the personal skills, clinical expertise, passion and integrity to help deliver tangible improvements in care for people with diabetes. These Champions join our existing cohort to give us 29 Champions working across the UK.
The new Clinical Champions selected are as follows:
- Dr Alex Bickerton – Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology, Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Ana Pokrajac – Consultant in Diabetes Endocrinology and GIM, West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Dr Anthony Lewis – Consultant in Diabetes &Endocrinology, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Debora Brown – Diabetes Specialist Nurse, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Deborah Wake – Consultant/ Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Dundee/ NHS Tayside
- Elizabeth Hackett – Principal Pharmacist for Diabetes, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
- Dr Elizabeth Martin – GP with a specialist interest in Diabetes, Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust
- Dr Julia Shaw – Assistant Podiatry Manager, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Dr Justin Warner – Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
- Dr Karunakaran Vithian – Consultant in Diabetes/ Endocrinology & Clinical lead for North East Essex Diabetes Service, Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Kevin Fernando – GPwSI Diabetes and Medical Education
- Lesley Hamilton – Diabetes Network Manager, Western Health and Social Care Trust
- Dr Neera Agarawal – Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology, Diabetes Centre, University Hospital Llandough
- Dr Ryan D'Costa – Consultant in Endocrinology and Diabetes, Mid Yorkshire Hospital NHS Trust
- Dr Sam Rice – Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Hywel Dda University Health Board
- Scott Cawley – Professional Lead Podiatrist for Diabetic foot, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
- Sheena Macdonald – Specialist Diabetes Dietician, NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Dr Syed Gillani – GP and Clinical Research Fellow Diabetes, The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
- Dr Vijay Jayagopal – Consultant Physician in Diabetes and Endocrinology, York Teaching Hospital
- Dr Vinesh Sobha – GP Principal, The Village Practice, Fylde and Wyre CCG
The Champions will act as advocates for people with diabetes, promoting their needs with commissioners, service managers and front-line healthcare professionals.