CSG 2 aims to further research into preventing and treating Type 1 diabetes. This CSG will cover the manipulation of the immune system for the prevention and treatment of Type 1 diabetes, alongside cell therapy and islet cell transplantation.
The group will also cover therapeutic targets and the development and study of drug treatments and insulin therapy in people with Type 1 diabetes.
Chair: Professor Colin Dayan, Cardiff University
Professor Colin Dayan has a long established interest in the underlying biology of Type 1 diabetes and is currently conducting early phase clinical trials in the development of Type 1 diabetes immunotherapy.
CSGs are bringing together researchers, healthcare professionals and people with diabetes to create a roadmap for new research.
- Associate Professor Ramzi Ajjan, Associate Professor/Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology, University of Leeds
- Dr James Cantley, Diabetes UK RD Lawrence Fellow, University of Oxford
- Dr Ivy Cheung, statistician, Swansea University
- David Dupont, lay member
- Mirjam Eiswirth, lay member
- Dr Shareen Forbes, Reader Diabetes and Endocrinology and Honorary Consultant Diabetes and Endocrinology/Lead Diabetologist Islet Transplant Programme (Scotland)
- Professor John Gregory, Professor in Paediatric Endocrinology & Honorary Consultant, Cardiff University
- Elaine Hibbert-Jones, Dietician
- Katherine Jones, Diabetes Research nurse
- Becki Millar, lay member
- Dr Parth Narendran, Reader in Diabetes Medicine/ Honorary Consultant Physician, University of Birmingham
- Dr Vinod Patel, Principal Clinical Teaching Fellow / Hon Consultant Physician, Diabetes & Endocrinology / Clinical Director for Diabetes, University of Warwick