Savefor later Page saved! You can go back to this later in your Diabetes and Me Close

Gastric surgery link to diabetes treatment

New research claims that gastric surgery could 'cure' diabetes.

Surgeons in Georgia, USA, have reported results from 53 gastric band patients who were taking medication for Type 2 diabetes before the operation.

The study, which was reported by the British Obesity Surgery Patient Association, claims that two years after their surgery, 80 per cent of the patients no longer had diabetes and the condition had improved in the other 20 per cent. 

No cure

However Libby Dowling, Care Advisor at Diabetes UK, said: “There is no cure for diabetes, only ways to manage and control the condition. Gastric surgery carries great risks and should only be considered as a last resort for those trying to lose weight.

“Losing weight through a healthy, balanced diet combined with regular physical activity has been shown, not only to reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes in the first place, but to significantly improve control of the condition.

“This also reduces the risk of developing the devastating complications of diabetes.”

Brand Icons/Telephonecheck - FontAwesomeicons/tickicons/uk