Apply for the Good Diabetes Care in School Award
Period 2 applications
Open: 9am Monday 7 June
Close: 5pm Friday 16 July
Applications are now open
This prestigious award is a fantastic way to demonstrate the great care provided to children with diabetes in school. The award is open to primary and secondary schools.
We celebrate the schools that work with parents and healthcare professionals to ensure children with diabetes have as easy an experience at school as possible. Make sure you have the chance to showcase your incredible work and join other schools who are already on our Honour Wall.
Overall it should take around 15 minutes to complete your online application. If your school is successful, they can join over 191 schools that have been awarded this honour since it was relaunched in 2018.
We have introduced a new applications platform. If you have any queries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
As you prepare to work on your application, please gather these supporting documents to submit when you have completed your application:
- Your school's up to date medical conditions policy - this covers what actions should be taken by your school to make sure a child is looked after, and that they are fully included in the day-to-day life of the school
- Document showing that you have informed all parents of the nomination along with providing a link to the parent survey, for example a copy of your school newsletter or an announcement on your school web page.
Our new application process:
Start your application using our new form.
- Complete the first part of your application and submit.
- You will get an email to confirm we’ve received your application. You will receive your school’s unique application number – keep this safe and use it for any correspondence you have with us
- This email will include links to both the parent and healthcare professional support forms. It will also include the link for you to submit your school's supporting documents (as a URL link).
- Send these links on to your supporting parent and healthcare professional and ask them to complete the forms, making sure they include your school's unique application number.
- Ask them to complete the forms - that's your part done. Once they have been completed they are automatically returned to us and matched with your school's application. Your application is then complete and we can then review it.
This summary guide (PDF, 1.6MB) will walk you through what you need to do to apply
What your school will get
- A beautiful trophy, which is valid for two years
- Use of the Good Diabetes Care in School Award logo on all your print and digital stationery
- Feature on the updated Honour Wall
- An opportunity for positive local media attention about your school’s achievements
- Ongoing support from us to help with best practice and updated methods of care
What happens after I've completed my application?
The assessments generally take between five and six weeks to complete once applications close. We will be in touch shortly after applications close to let you know if your school is successful.
We are dedicated to the protection of child healthcare data. Therefore we would like to remind you of the need to provide good governance of data especially in light of GDPR. We would recommend that all forms you receive are stored securely, with limited access, and are destroyed once they are no longer required. Only send the required forms and not the emails they were sent by.
The Good Diabetes Care in Schools Award is awarded by Diabetes UK based on information supplied by the school, parents of children attending the school and at least one independent healthcare professional at the time of award. School resources, practices and management may change at any time for reasons out of our control. Diabetes UK accepts no responsibility for any claims, losses or any type of damage whatsoever arising out of any reliance on an award, or its decision to make or not make an award to a school.