Here is what you should do if you have a hyper:
- Have lots of sugar-free drinks.
- Your mum and dad might give you a bit more insulin.
- Your mum and dad might do a special test for something called ketones. They do that by testing your wee or your blood with a special strip.
What are ketones?
Ketones are poisonous and can make you feel really poorly - very sleepy, thirsty, headaches, tummy ache and sick. If you get a lot of ketones you could get something called diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA for short. It's most likely to happen if you're poorly.
How can I stop myself from getting DKA?
The best thing to do is for Mum or Dad to check your blood or wee for ketones if your blood glucose (sugar) is high. Then if you do have ketones, they can phone your nurse who'll tell you what to do. In the meantime, drink lots of sugar-free fluids, carry on taking your insulin and don't run around or play - you need to rest.
- Check your blood or wee for ketones if your blood glucose stays higher than 10mmol.
- If you do find ketones, your mum or dad will phone your nurse who'll tell them what to do.