Know Your Risk is our campaign to help as many people as possible be aware of their risk of Type 2 diabetes and what they can do to reduce it. Our Know Your Risk events come in a variety of shapes and sizes from our flagship Know Your Risk roadshows to workplace and local events taking our prevention message to the heart of local communities.
There are a variety of different roles at a Know Your Risk event and you will be trained for each element. They include:
- carrying out the Know Your Risk questionnaire with members of the public, which will involve measuring people’s height, weight and waist, asking relevant questions and explaining the risk factors of Type 2 diabetes
- talking to members of the public to raise awareness of diabetes and the work of Diabetes UK
- giving basic lifestyle advice and directing people to the dietitian where necessary
- answering general queries, offering appropriate Diabetes UK publications/materials and directing any medical or other specific questions to a member of staff, or signposting to Diabetes UK services/resources or a Healthcare Professional.
We are looking for people who:
- are enthusiastic and want to help prevent Type 2 diabetes or have an interest in community based health promotion work
- are confident talking to members of the public, a good listener and communicator who can be friendly, approachable and supportive
- are able to work as part of a team and have a positive can-do attitude –even on a rainy day.
- don’t mind being active as Roadshows can be quite busy
- have a commitment to help us ‘keep Safe and Legal’ and volunteer within our guidelines and policies for confidentiality, safeguarding, data protection and health and safety.
What we can offer for you:
- The opportunity be part of the Know Your Risk campaign and to make a difference to people at risk of Type 2 diabetes.
- Full training, information and ongoing support to carry out the Know Your Risk role.
- The opportunity to learn new skills.
- The chance to meet new people and have fun.
- Reimbursement of agreed out of pocket expenses incurred while carrying out activities for Diabetes UK eg travel and lunch.
For more information or to apply please contact the local volunteering team by email@example.com, or call 01325 488606.