Examples of good practice in diabetes care and commissioning to help you drive improvement
Effective Diabetes Education Now! (EDEN) diabetes training, based at the Leicester Diabetes Centre have developed a 'Check, change, chat' checklist to be used in consultations with people with diabetes who inject insulin.
The checklist has been developed as an aide memoire to support healthcare professionals who lack confidence when reviewing their insulin-injecting diabetic patients whilst enabling safe practice and ensuring that vital elements of these consultations are always included.
It also aims to improve the quality of life for people with diabetes, prevent hypoglycaemia and lipohypertrophy, and reduce the risk of hospital admissions.
The resource has had positive feedback from those who have used it and is accessible in PDF format to be used electronically or printed off for use as a paper checklist.
Good Practice Archive
- Ayrshire diabetes in pregnancy project recognised: Lead diabetes midwife at NHS Ayrshire & Arran wins award for gestational diabetes service redesign
- Patient Feedback: Wessex Peer Review of Foot Care Services and Pathway for People with Diabetes (PDF, 614KB)
- How to use root cause analysis to reduce diabetes-related amputations (PDF, 205KB)
GReaT groups (Getting Ready for Transition): Supporting transition to secondary school for children and parents living with diabetes, University College London Hospital, Child and Adolescent Psychological Services
- The All-Wales Standard for People with Diabetes Moving from Paediatric to Adult Services within NHS Wales
- Improving access: Group Consultations in Slough
- A whole systems approach to improving safety in hospital for people with diabetes
- Engaging and educational games to use for Hypo Awareness week: 'Hypo Snakes and Ladders' and 'Hypo Snap' (both created by Sarah Gregory at East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust)
- Learning from our mistakes, DSN Forum UK, YouTube website
- Improving time for referral for foot complications on dialysis units (PDF, 1.08MB)
- Diabetes Specialist team and Community Nurses (CNs) working in partnership – How the creation of a ‘Virtual Ward’ led to improved patient outcomes and saved nursing time in North East Essex (PDF, 225KB)
- Identifying people with diabetes on entry to hospital (PDF, 228KB)
- Top tips for talking to people with a learning disability about diabetes (PDF, 19.5MB)
- Don’t Risk It For A Biscuit - A simple way of reducing nocturnal hypoglycaemia on renal wards at Hammersmith Hospital (PDF, 540 KB)
- Tayside's DOT.dig garden workshop - reimagining children's diabetes outpatient care (PDF, 15 MB)