Examples of good practice in diabetes care and commissioning to help you drive improvement
A whole systems approach to improving safety in hospital for people with diabetes
Dr Parijat De, Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology at Sandwell & West Birmingham NHS Trust discusses how a collective strategy can improve inpatient care.
Download the case study (PDF, 329KB)
For more information please contact email@example.com
Engaging and educational games to use for Hypo Awareness week (24th – 30th September 2018)
Struggling to shine a spotlight on hypos? Thinking of how to engage your colleagues during Insulin Safety Week? Then take some inspiration from Sarah Gregory at East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust. Last year, she reached all wards at The Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital by developing the below games to engage and educate staff. These included:
Bite-size 10 minute teaching on the wards using ‘Hypo Snap’ (PDF, 302KB) – a game developed by Sarah Gregory using graphics from the Diabetes UK support tools
- More than 60 staff attended a ‘main event’ in their Quality Improvement Hub at QEQM to play ‘Hypo Snakes and Ladders’ (PDF, 11,607KB) – developed again by Sarah.
- A Hypo Quiz was developed to highlight the risks of hypos to inpatients, the medication that can cause hypos and how to choose the right treatments.
- They also had a ‘Hypo Heroes’ award – which was presented to the ward who engaged the most during the course of the week.
They received great feedback and it was such a big success that was nominated for a QiC award and came second.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Hypo Awareness Week: https://hypoawarenessweek.com/
Good Practice Archive
- Learning from our mistakes, DSN Forum UK, YouTube website
- Improving time for referral for foot complications on dialysis units (PDF, 1.08MB)
- Diabetes Specialist team and Community Nurses (CNs) working in partnership – How the creation of a ‘Virtual Ward’ led to improved patient outcomes and saved nursing time in North East Essex (PDF, 225KB)
- Identifying people with diabetes on entry to hospital (PDF, 228KB)
- Top tips for talking to people with a learning disability about diabetes (PDF, 19.5MB)
- Don’t Risk It For A Biscuit - A simple way of reducing nocturnal hypoglycaemia on renal wards at Hammersmith Hospital (PDF, 540 KB)
- Tayside's DOT.dig garden workshop - reimagining children's diabetes outpatient care (PDF, 15 MB)
- Find out how you can empower inpatients with diabetes with the University Hospital Southampton's insulin self-administration tool.
- Use the short PocketMedic video to help you prevent hypos in hospital. Find out how you can empower inpatients with diabetes with the University Hospital.