The Young Diabetologist Forum is a forum for young diabetologists who are members of Diabetes UK.
The Forum exists under the auspices of the Professional Working Groups of Diabetes UK. Its constitution and any future changes shall be subject to the approval of this committee.
The Forum seeks to represent and support the interests of junior doctors who are involved in any aspect of diabetes care or research. In particular, the Forum has three key objectives:
- Representation – within Diabetes UK via the elected member and on national committees by nomination from within the Forum.
- Education and training – that might not be available elsewhere. This could cover clinical, research, managerial and other relevant topics both to promote learning as well as the development of skills. A range of teaching and learning approaches would be employed. Information about relevant courses would also be disseminated.
- Social and networking – the development of contacts across the country to share information and experience will be promoted.
Members of the Forum must be fully paid Professional Members of Diabetes UK. Members will normally be medically qualified, have completed general professional training and be involved in any aspect of diabetes care or research. Associate membership may be offered to others (eg medical students) at the discretion of the committee. Members will not have held a consultant or senior lecturer post for more than two years.
The principal activity of the Forum is its annual meeting, which is held within or appended to Diabetes UK's Annual Professional Conference. The annual meeting aims to address, and be responsive to, the needs of all its members – although it is recognised that some activities will be more appropriate to some members than to others.
For a listing of all YDF events, please visit the Young Diabetologist Forum website.
The committee will have five or six members.
Current members are:
Emma Wilmot (Leicester) YDF Chair
Marc Atkin (Portsmouth) Vice Chair
Hermione Price (Oxford) Chair Elect
Jyothis George (Edinburgh) Website Editor
Rahat Maitland (London) Event Lead
The Forum's committee reports to the Professional Working Groups via the elected SpR member (Chair).
- Committee members normally serve for three years. To facilitate continuity, and wherever possible, no more than three members of the committee will step down at any one time.
- The committee meets on at least two occasions each year.
For more information on the Young Diabetologist Forum, please visit the Young Diabetologist Forum website.