May – June 2013
To get a taste of what Balance has to offer, you can sample three features from the latest issue:
Caring for those who care
As we approach Carers Week, we look at how diabetes can affect friends and loved ones – and how best to cope.
Travel & sport
Tackling La Marmotte (and taking in the views).
Getting out and about in the hills.
New: Balance podcast
We are pleased to present our new Balance podcasts – an audio version of the magazine that you can download and listen to on your computer or MP3 player.
There are four versions available: Life & Health, Research Matters, Features & Comment, and a selected digest of the magazine.
You can save the files to listen to on your MP3 player by right-clicking on the title and selecting 'Save target as' or 'Save link as' (depending on your browser).
We're piloting these podcasts for a few issues, and would love to know what you think about them. If you'd like to let us know, please use the quick feedback form.
Other content, not available online
- This is Diabetes UK
- They say, we say
- Research matters– The latest research from around the world
- Your views
- Recipes – truly scrumptious: delectable desserts and treats from Truvia
- Bite-sized – Food news and tips
- Fundraising focus – Celebrating your achievements and up-coming events
- Fun & games – Win £100 John Lewis vouchers, and we have copies of 'Carbs & Cals', plus 'Hill Walking Essentials' DVDs to give away
- Different types – Arthur Smith and Mari Wilson tell it like it is
- Have your say
Here's your chance to say what you think about 'Balance' – and you'll also be in with a chance of winning a £250 Red Letter Day
- Carbs and Cals laid bare
Author and Company Dietitian of the ever-popular 'Carbs & Cals' book share their plated portions
- Spreading the word on islet cell transplants
Dr Martin Rutter gives the low-down on this life-saving treatment for people with Type 1
Life & health
- Health notes – boost your energy; all about the 5:2 diet; chair exercises; what to do if you fall ill on holiday; and hypo/hyperthyroidism explained
- Ask the experts – a look at your concerns, including: safe sites for testing; care choices; pain relief; and being taken ill on holiday
- Spotlight on – neuropathy
- Basic care – keeping your child's care on track: the 10 checks and services your child is entitled to