CSG 1 aims to improve our understanding around the causes of all forms of diabetes. This CSG will include the causes of all forms of diabetes.
It will cover the genetic and environmental risk factors for diabetes, insulin resistance, epigenetics, and matters relating to correct diagnosis.
It will also cover the epidemiology of diabetes, in order to uncover patterns of diabetes within the population.
Chair: Professor Rebecca Reynolds, University of Edinburgh
Professor Reynolds has an established track record in clinical experimental medicine, whilst also treating people with diabetes and diabetes in pregnancy.
CSGs are bringing together researchers, healthcare professionals and people with diabetes to create a roadmap for new research.
- Nafeesa Dhalwani, Lecturer in Epidemiology, Leicester University
- Keith Godfrey, Director of NIHR Southampton Biomedical Research Centre/ Professor of Epidemiology & Human Development, Honorary Consultant UHS, Director Centre for the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease
- Andrew Hattersley, Professor of Molecular Medicine, University of Exeter Medical School
- Ron McDowell, lay member
- Jinty Moffett, lay member
- Katharine Owen, Associate Professor/ Honorary Consultant Physician, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Dr Calum Sutherland, Reader in Insulin Action, University of Dundee
- Vasanthi Vasudevan, Diabetes/ Cardiothoraric Research Nurse
- Sara White, Sir George Alberti Research Training Fellow (Diabetes UK) & Specialist Registrar (Academic Clinical Fellow)
- Alistair Williams, Research Fellow, University of Bristol
- Susan Wong, Professor of Experimental Diabetes and Metabolism, Head of Diabetes Research Group & Honorary Consultant Physician in Diabetes, Cardiff University