Together we can achieve so much more
As I look over the last year, a simple but important truth is powerfully clear: by pulling together we can achieve more.
It’s an idea that shines through, time and again. From world-class researchers and NHS leaders, to people living with diabetes and incredible supporters like you.
I've put together our three highlights of the past year and three major goals for future below.
Chief Executive, Diabetes UK
Top three highlights
- We raised the standards of care – As part of the NHS Long Term Plan, we’ve secured the biggest-ever central budget for diabetes.
- We fought for better treatments – Access to Flash glucose technology used to be a postcode lottery, so we campaigned hard and now it’s available on prescription to all who need it.
- Research changed lives – We funded research that proves that for some people Type 2 diabetes can go into remission. We’re closer to the artificial pancreas being part of everyday care and we confirmed a gold standard for long-term treatment of neonatal diabetes.
Three major goals
- Give people better emotional support – Thousands of people have told us living with diabetes is emotionally tough. So we’ll work with the NHS and healthcare professionals to improve access to psychological care.
- Help people avoid Type 2 diabetes – With levels of Type 2 diabetes rising, we’re taking action to help millions of people avoid it by putting pressure on governments, promoting our Know Your Risk tool and supporting our Community Champions.
- Transform treatment for Type 1 – We’re investing further in immunotherapy research which could mean the biggest shift in Type 1 treatment in 100 years, and could ultimately lead to a cure.