Take on our biggest walking challenge from 1 July to 30 September 2021 and start stepping towards a healthier you.
This summer, take one million steps. Steps to get fit. Steps to lose weight. And steps to raise funds to change the lives of everyone living with or at risk of diabetes. The challenge may have begun, but we'd still love for you to join the team.
However you choose to move, take around 10,000 steps a day over three months - at your own pace, wherever you are. And if 10,000 steps a day feels too much of a challenge right now, why not aim for half a million instead? Whatever your goal, we’ll support you every step of the way.
There are three distances to choose from:
- 500,000 steps - a perfect start to your stepping journey, you'll take about 5,400 steps a day.
- 1,000,000 steps - the original challenge, you'll take about 10,800 steps a day.
- 1,700,000 steps - from Lands End to John O'Groats, you'll take about 18,400 steps a day.
You can step by yourself or with your friends and family. Because the One Million Step Challenge is for everybody, and every body.
And through your fundraising, you’ll also be taking steps for everybody affected by diabetes. For all the mums, dads, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, grandparents, and best friends. And, of course, for you.
One Million Step Challenge registration information
- it’s free to register.
- no minimum sponsorship. We suggest a target of £120, but all we ask is you raise as much as you can for us.
- you must be aged 18 or over to register and receive an online profile page. Children are welcome to join, but they need a parent or guardian to register on their behalf using a second JustGiving account. This will require a second unique email address.
- you will need a pedometer or step tracker for the challenge. If you use a smartphone, there are lots of pedometer apps that are free and easy to use.
How we'll support you
Before you get stepping, you’ll receive your welcome pack through the post. We’ll send it within two weeks of you registering, and it’s packed full of advice about increasing your steps and useful fundraising tips.
You’ll also get your very own One Million Step Challenge online profile page. This is where you can log your steps to keep a running total, earn virtual badges, collect your online fundraising and share your progress with everyone you know on Facebook and Twitter.
And to say thank you for all your fundraising efforts, there are lots of One Million Step Challenge rewards to earn each time you hit one of our fundraising milestones too.
How to count your steps
Keeping on top of your steps using a smartphone is by far the easiest way to keep track of your activity. If you need help finding the best walking app for you, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Physical pedometers or activity trackers are great too. You can buy a pedometer for less than £10, or spend a little more on something a little more advanced. Then, just keep a log of your daily steps on your online profile page.
Why take part in our One Million Step Challenge?
Register today to receive your welcome pack in the next two weeks and start your One Million Step Challenge journey.
Walking 10,000 steps a day can help you to:
- feel more energetic and awake over time
- look after your blood pressure and heart health
- achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- sleep better
- reduce your stress levels.
Sign up now to start stepping and feeling the benefits.