- Add the oil to a saucepan, then add the spring onions and the asparagus stems, but not the tips. Stir for 1 minute over a medium heat. In a separate pan, heat the stock and gently simmer.
- Add the garlic and white pepper to the asparagus stems and spring onion. Stir for 1 minute, then add the rice. Stir for 2 minutes more, add roughly two ladles of stock, enough to just cover the rice, then stir again.
- Whilst Regularly stirring the rice, add hot stock a little at a time, so the rice is just covered. The risotto should be bubbling very gently.
- After 20 minutes, add any remaining stock, the peas and asparagus tips. Stir for 2–5 minutes, testing to make sure the rice is al dente (slightly firm).
- Vigorously stir in the crème fraiche, butter and cheese. Cover and allow to stand for 2 minutes, then serve.
- Use a heavy-based saucepan or casserole dish when making risotto, as you don't want it to burn during cooking.
- Stir the rice continously whilst cooking in order to cook it evenly.