- Stud the onion with the cloves and place in a pan with the milk, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and allow the flavours to develop for 2 hours.
- Remove the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns from the milk before adding the butter and breadcrumbs.
- Cook again over a very low heat for about 20 minutes until thickened.
- Try adding crushed garlic and chopped fresh parsley to create a tasty garlic bread sauce.
- To make a healthier sauce use wholemeal bread.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in portions then defrost and serve warm.