- Add the cumin seeds to the palm of your hand and gently crush and rub them with the thumb of your other hand to release the flavours, then add them to a bowl
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, onion and pepper. Mix and set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the carrots into thin ribbons.
- Toss the carrots into the dressing and serve scattered with a few fresh coriander leaves.
- You could use poppy seeds, sesame seeds or caraway seeds instead of cumin seeds. Or try using a different oil such as toasted sesame or walnut.
- For a really colourful salad, look out for heritage carrots which as well as orange can be purple, white or yellow.