- Place the lentils in a pan and cover with 1.2 litres of water to come approximately 4cm above the lentils. Add the chilli powder, garlic, turmeric and bring to the boil. Cover and cook over a low heat for approximately an hour, until tender.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown. Reserve a few fried onions to garnish. Now add the green chilli. Stir through the lentil mixture, then garnish with the onions, garam masala and coriander.
- You could add extra garlic to the onions for more flavour. Thinly slice 2-3 cloves and cook for a few minutes with the onions.
- Freezing instructions: Defrost in a microwave then cook over a very low heat until piping hot.
- If you don’t have garlic or chillies to hand, you could use chilli powder and garlic granules, just check the label to make sure there's no added salt.