- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened and starting to brown, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Meanwhile add the bread, thyme and pepper and 500ml boiling water to a bowl, leave for a couple of minutes then stir with a fork to break up all the bread into a thick porridge.
- Add the onions and garlic to the bread mixture along with the apricots, chestnuts and parsley and mix well.
- Add to a lightly oiled ovenproof dish and bake for 25–35 minutes.
- Try adding other herbs in place of thyme. Sage or tarragon both work well. You could also use other dried fruit such as prunes, cranberries or raisins instead of apricots.
- Ideal served as a side dish with vegetarian and vegan dishes or with meats such as pork and pheasant.