- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan)/350F/gas mark 4.
- Heat the sunflower oil in an ovenproof casserole or baking dish set over a medium heat until hot.
- Stir in the rice and sauté in the oil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Cover with the water, stirring well. Bring to the boil before arranging the squash and chicken on top of the rice.
- Loosely cover the dish with aluminium foil and transfer to the oven, baking for about 30 minutes until the rice has absorbed the water and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and discard the foil. Sprinkle almonds on top and return the dish to the oven for 7-10 minutes until the almonds are golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let it cool for 5 minutes before shredding between two forks.
- Stir some lemon juice into the pilaf and fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Top with the shredded chicken and garnish with some coriander leaves before serving.
- Yellow squashes are available from good grocers and supermarkets. Look for a squash that is approximately 250-350g in weight.
- To add colour and variety, replace half the sliced almonds with unsalted cashew and pistachio nuts.