- Heat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease a 20 x 20cm baking tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the chocolate and low-fat spread in a bowl, set over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave, stirring often. Leave to cool a little.
- Pat away any excess liquid from the beetroot with kitchen paper. Place in a liquidiser with the dissolved coffee, eggs, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Blend until puréed.
- Add the ground almonds, flour, cocoa powder, sweetener and baking powder and blend until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spoon. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is firm and a skewer inserted into the middle of the brownie comes out with sticky crumbs attached, but isn't liquid.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes, cut into squares or rectangles and serve.
- You can make fruity brownies by adding 2 tbsp raisins, or try adding 2 tbsp of chopped walnuts or flaked almonds.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Freeze in individually wrapped portions. Defrost for 2 hours in the fridge or in the microwave on a low/defrost setting.