- Add the olive oil to a saucepan on a medium heat, then add the chopped onion. Stir regularly for 8 minutes until brown.
- Now add the chicken and the baby onions and stir until they start to brown. Add the mushrooms and stir for another couple of minutes.
- Add the thyme, bay leaf, garlic and pepper. Mix well and add the wine and stock. Bring to the boil, cover, then simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Once the chicken has cooked, check the sauce and season if needed. Finally, add the cornflour and water mixture and stir in for 3–5 minutes until the sauce thickens a little. Serve.
- This can be made a day or two in advance and kept in the fridge, which actually improves the flavour.
- If you don't have wine, you could use cider or add some more stock. However, if you add more stock, remember that this will increase the salt content of the recipe.
- This recipe will warm you up on a cold winter's day and is great served with crusty bread or mashed potato.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge and reheat until piping hot throughout.