- Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil, egg, sugar, stevia, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add the flour, spice, currants and peel and mix well until the mixture forms a ball.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and roll to 3–4mm thick.
- Using a 5cm fluted pastry cutter, cut out the biscuits and carefully place them onto a lightly oiled baking tray, re-rolling the trimmings as you go. You should get about 25 biscuits.
- Bake for about 7–9 minutes until just starting to brown at the edges, sprinkle with the caster sugar and cool on a wire rack.
- You could use a shaped cookie cutter, such as a rabbit or duck to make fun Easter biscuits for children.
- If you don’t have currants, raisins or sultanas work just as well, or use 50g mixed dried fruit instead of the currants and mixed peel.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Freeze in individually wrapped portions. Defrost for 2 hours, or in the microwave.