- Grease a 20 x 25cm cake tin with the oil and preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Scatter the banana chunks and blueberries evenly over the base of the tin.
- Add the sugar, wholemeal flour, cocoa powder and baking powder to a bowl and mix together well.
- Add the vanilla extract, sunflower oil and milk to the bowl, and mix again.
- Pour evenly over the banana and blueberries, and bake for 15–20 minutes. It's ready when I knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Try using other fruits such as pears, blackberries or raspberries, or dried fruit such as raisins or prunes.
- For a gluten-free version, use the same amount (50g) in place of the wholewheat flour, you may need to add an extra tablespoon or two of milk (Gluten free flours tend to absorb more moisture than wheat) or use 50g of ground almonds and add 30g of gluten free flour.
- Serve warm with a little crème fraiche, or cold as a cake.
- This also works with a 23cm round cake tin.