- Preheat the grill to hot. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking tray.
- Cut the peppers in half and scoop out the white ribs and seeds, discarding them.
- Mix the halved cherry tomatoes, chopped shallot, sliced garlic, chopped basil, and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the tomato salad between the pepper halves, arranging them on the wire rack on the tray.
- Grill for about 4-5 minutes until the peppers are lightly charred at the edges.
- Remove from the grill and let stand briefly before serving on a platter with a garnish of basil leaves.
- Spice this dish by adding half a finely chopped chilli to the tomato mix.