- Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2. Place the oil, molasses and milk in a pan, and heat gently for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, ginger, mixed spice and sweetener. Beat in the egg and mashed banana.
- Line a 30cm x 20cm baking tray with baking parchment. Gently stir the oil mixture into the bowl and pour into the lined tin until about 1cm thick. Bake in the centre of the oven for one hour, or until the centre of the cake is just firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a chopping board and cut into shapes or squares.
- We used Halloween shapes for the picture, but you could just cut into more traditional squares. Or you could make the cake in a deeper baking tray and cut into smaller cubes.
- Blackstrap molasses is high in sugar but has a strong taste, so you only need a little to add a lot of flavour to your recipe.