- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add the lamb and cook for a further 7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Now add the peppers, carrots and aubergine, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic, paprika, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Mix well, then add the tomatoes, crumble in the stock cube and stir in the water.
- Bring to the boil, stir and cover. Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour, then add the chickpeas and lentils, including their water. Mix well and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt and coriander together.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a dollop of the coriander yogurt and a squeeze of lemon.
- For a veggie version, swap the lamb for a pack of marinated or smoked tofu and a can of mixed beans.
- Harira also works well with chicken or beef.
- Keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days – it tastes even better the day after you've made it.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat until piping hot throughout.