- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6. Add the bulgur wheat to a large bowl, pour over 600ml boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Place the aubergine halves, skin-side down, on a baking tray, and brush the cut surface with half the olive oil. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, scoop out the flesh and roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, drain off any excess liquid from the bulgur wheat. In a pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the onion and garlic for 2–3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the ground cumin and coriander and continue to fry for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the soaked bulgur wheat and the aubergine flesh, but not the Parmesan.
- Heat through then divide the mixture between the aubergine shells. Return to the oven and cook for 10–15 minutes until the topping is golden. Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings to serve.
- For a gluten-free version, use quinoa in place of bulgur wheat.
- You could also top with a little dairy-free cheese instead of the Parmesan to make this a vegetarian and vegan dish.