- Preheat the grill to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Flake the mackerel fillets, discarding the skins and any bones.
- Toss with the lemon juice, sugar and juniper berries and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- To make the salad, split the pitta breads in half, grill until crisp and break into pieces. Toss the rocket with the cherry tomatoes, mackerel and any juices, pitta bread pieces and olive oil.
- Divide between 8 plates and serve.
- For a gluten-free version, you could use thickly sliced boiled new potatoes rather than pitta bread.
- Try smoked trout fillets in place of mackerel for a lighter more colourful dish.
- For vegetarians, replace the mackerel with a quarter of an avocado – there’s no need to marinate.