- Add the oil to a pan, followed by the onion, and stir for 3–4 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Next, add the aubergine and butternut squash. Heat for 3–4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 1–2 minutes, again stirring regularly.
- Add the cinnamon, turmeric and cumin. Mix well, pour in the water, stir, and then add in the tomatoes.
- Mix well and bring to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Mix and serve with fresh coriander, plus some wedges of lemon.
- If you don’t have butternut squash, try sweet potatoes or a mix of other root vegetables, such as carrot, parsnip and swede.