- Preheat the oven 180°C/gas 4. Grill the aubergine slices for 3-4 minutes on each side and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. When they start to brown, add the minced beef and stir for 5 minutes, breaking up any clumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red pepper and carrot and cook for 5 minutes then stir in the garlic, tomatoes, purée, oregano and cinnamon.
- Stir in the stock, bring to the boil then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping mix the yogurt, Cheddar and nutmeg together.
- In an ovenproof dish, place a layer of aubergine, add a spoonful of the beef mixture then layer alternately, ending with a layer of aubergine.
- Spoon the yogurt mixture over the top and bake for 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Moussaka is often made with minced lamb. For a lower-fat version use minced turkey instead.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat until piping hot throughout.