- Boil the new potatoes and cut into bite-sized chunks. Meanwhile prepare the mussels (see Chef's tips, below).
- Thinly slice the stems of the purple sprouting broccoli, leaving the heads intact. Prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the oil to a large pan over a medium-low heat, add the purple sprouting broccoli and sliced leeks. Cook for 5–6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spring onion, stir for 2 minutes and turn the heat up high.
- Now add the mussels, mix and put a lid on the pan then cook for 3–4 minutes shaking the pan a few times.
- Add the broad beans, milk, new potatoes, pepper and parsley. Bring to boiling point (2–3 minutes), mixing regularly, then turn down the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve.
- Wash under cold running water discarding any with broken shells.
- Look for any open mussels, tap them, if they don't close discard them.
- Pull out any 'beards' (the little tuft of brown fibres).
- Scrape off any barnacles with a small knife and scrub with a kitchen brush.
- Give the mussels another rinse in a colander. Set aside.