- Wash under cold running water discarding any with broken shells.
- Look for any open mussels, tap them, if they don't close discard them.
- Pull out any 'beards' (the little tuft of brown fibres).
- Scrape off any barnacles with a small knife and scrub with a kitchen brush.
- Give the mussels another rinse in a colander. Set aside.
We use these symbols throughout our recipes to make it easier to choose recipes to suit you. However, this information should not replace specific advice from your healthcare professional.
Nutritional information explained
The carb values of these meals relate to the total amount of carbs from all ingredients. If you are carb counting, you may not need to include them all in calculating your insulin dose. Speak to your healthcare team if you're unsure.
Traffic light symbols / colours
- Red = high
- Amber = medium
- Green = low
Traffic lights for these recipes are determined by the whole portion size. Comparison of the traffic lights for different recipes should be based on 100g of each portion.