- Heat a large deep pan with a lid, add half (or a third, depending on the size of your pan) of the popping corn and cover. Shake regularly and after 2-3 minutes you’ll hear the corn start to pop – don’t be tempted to open the lid! Keep shaking until the popping stops.
- Put the popped corn into a large bowl and discard any corn that hasn’t popped. Repeat until all your corn is done.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan warm the orange juice, ginger and sweetener and until dissolved. Mix until it reaches boiling point then heat for 2-3 minutes until it becomes sticky and the volume is reduced by three quarters.
- Stir in the zest and add the popcorn, mixing well so it is all coated.
- Spread onto a tray and leave to dry completely before bagging it up.
- Don’t put too much corn in at once – cook in batches as it expands a lot. Don’t open the lid while it’s popping as it will pop out all over the kitchen.
- Take care not to let the pan dry completely as you need enough sauce to coat the popcorn, but if the sauce is too wet your popcorn will be soggy.
- Make sure the popcorn is thoroughly cooled before you bag it.
- Try adding a good pinch of spice, such as cinnamon or nutmeg.