- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Place the chicken onto a rack and place over a roasting tin. Squeeze the lemon over the bird and place the lemon shells in the cavity of the bird.
- Place some of the herbs on top of the bird and place the remaining herbs into the cavity. Season with black pepper.
- Pour the water into the roasting tin, then place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes per kilo, plus 20 minutes (1 hour and 50 minutes for a 2kg bird), topping up the water if necessary.
- Take out of the oven, cover with foil and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin, carve, and serve with plenty of vegetables and potatoes.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, pierce the skin between the thigh and breast – the juices should be clear.
- If using the pan juices to make gravy, pour into a jug and allow to stand for a few minutes. The fat will float to the top and can be removed with a spoon before making the gravy.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. For convinience, you can freeze this dish in portions, then defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat thoroughly until piping hot throughout.