- To make the marinade, grind the coriander and cumin seeds to a powder.
- Pound the garlic, ginger and chillies with a pinch of pepper, to a rough paste in a mortar.
- Work in the coriander and cumin, tomato purée, vinegar, and olive oil. Mix in 2 tbsp water. Pour over the chicken pieces, and turn to coat each one.
- Leave for at least half an hour (or up to 24 hours, covered, in the fridge).
- Preheat the grill or bbq thoroughly. Thread the chicken pieces onto 8 long skewers or 16 small ones, alternating with courgette rings. Grill or barbecue for around 10 minutes, turning several times until browned and cooked through. Serve with lemon or lime wedges, and rice or salad.
- If you don’t have a pestle and mortar, simply blend the marinade ingredients with a stick blender or food processor.
- You could use cubes of salmon instead of chicken or tofu cubes for a vegan version.