- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, egg and nutmeg. Gradually stir in approx 100ml cold water to make a smooth dough that doesn’t stick to the spoon.
- Flour a cutting board, place the dough on it and roll out thinly. Cut the dough into small noodles about 5cm long. Cook the noodles in batches by adding to the boiling water. They cook quickly and are ready when they float to the surface. As the noodles finish cooking, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer the noodles to a plate and toss with a small knob of butter and some parsley.
- Try making spaetzle with half wholemeal flour for more fibre.
- For a simple sauce for 2, sauté a large chopped leek with 150g mushrooms. Stir in 2 tbsp reduced fat garlic and herb cream cheese.