- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onions until starting to brown, stirring regularly.
- Add the beef and cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking up any clumps of beef with a wooden spoon.
- Add the carrot, yellow pepper and courgette and continue cooking gently for 5 minutes more, still stirring regularly.
- Add the garlic, herbs and chilli flakes and stir for a minute. Add the stock cube, followed by the tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if too much liquid evaporates and it starts to stick.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions.
- Stir the lentils and chopped parsley into the sauce then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add a grind of black pepper, sprinkle with basil and serve with the wholemeal spaghetti.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings, if liked, to serve.
- You could use minced turkey or minced pork for this sauce.
- Ideal for cooking in a large batch then freezing in portions.