- Add the oil to a pan and mix in the onion, pepper and carrot. Stir regularly for 5 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, cabbage, oregano, thyme, and beans. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, add a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put into bowls, add a blob of pesto to each and sprinkle with plenty of black pepper. To serve, add a shaving of cheese, if liked, and a sprig of fresh basil, to garnish.
- Like many traditional recipes, this soup tends to be made with whatever is available. You can add all sorts of vegetables, such as pumpkin, courgettes or celery, or add different beans, pasta, or even meat, such as ham.
- Borlotti beans are low in fat, packed with dietary fibre and a good source of protein and folate.
- Using strong flavoured cheese, such as Parmesan, Gran Padano or Cheddar, means that you can use less of it in your cooking, but still enjoy great taste.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in portions then defrost in the fridge, or defrost in a microwave stirring regularly.