- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook 5–8 minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the red pepper, carrots, courgette and mushrooms, and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Next, add the chilli powder, cumin, oregano and tomatoes. Mix well, then cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the lentils and beans with their water, ketchup, sugar and salt. Mix well and bring to a gentle bubble. Add a lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Keep in the fridge for up to three days or freeze.
- Be careful with chilli – you can always add more but you can't take it out! Add a little and allow time for the heat to infuse, taste it and only add more if you need to. If sharing with friends, make it mild and serve with some chilli sauce or flakes on the side, so people can spice it up if they want to.
- Freezin instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat thoroughly until piping hot throughout.